, , , , , , , , ,

CLOSE ENCOUNTER: David Guison



Interview by Amelia Baird / Photography by Aidx Paredes

David Guison – more popularly known for his blogging, fashion and graceful charm but little do people know that he has a great inclination towards art. On July 19th, LIEU Magazine sat down with David after having a nice meal at Outback Grill so we could learn more about the transparently interesting life he lives by asking questions that reveal the inner workings of his creative mind and iconic lifestyle.



David meets Goliath burger from Outback Grill.

Special thanks to Danelle Filipinas of Outback Grill for letting us dine, interview and shoot.
Like Outback Grill on Facebook | Visit Outback Grill at Bacaca Road, Davao City


Basically, who is David Guison as an artist?
I guess every time I wake up I am just really inspired. I go to bed satisfied because I am inspired by the music I listen to, movies I watch – everything, I take it as an inspiration and it reflects on the way I dress, how I present my work.

We’ve seen your growth as a blogger, how was the transition like?
It made me sad to let go of photography because I started with events and fashion photography. Ever since my blog evolved into a fashion blog, I was the one who was in the photos rather than me taking the photos so I didn’t have the credits. But then I took it as a challenge, so all the photos that I post in my blog are produced by me.

So you were actually first a photographer?
Yes. Since it’s a fashion blog, I really make it a point to drive around and look for locations.

What describes your style in photography?
I guess it’s true to the moment. I want to be the one that gives you a different experience. For example, you invite ten bloggers to an event – I want to show you na eto yung hindi nakita ng ibang bloggers dun sa event na ‘yun.

Aside from photography and blogging, what else are you fascinated with? Can you paint? Are you good at drawing?
I’m really into painting, drawing and multimedia arts; from graphic design to videography. But videography is really something that I am trying to get into because I think if I post videos in my blog I have an edge from the other bloggers. 




Who are the artists that you look up to?
I am really inspired by Jason Magbanua and AJ Dimarucot.

What else don’t we know about David Guison?
In contrary, I really don’t want the attention or the fame. Ayoko talaga when people recognize me. As weird as it sounds, some people blog just for the fame and the free stuff, but me I still get awkward. Akala ko, when I started blogging pwede lang ako sa likod ng laptop. I won’t get to be seen, I won’t get to talk to people – but I have to go to meetings and events. But then I grew as a blogger and I stepped out of my comfort zone.

Growth begins, when you step out of your comfort zone.

If you were to choose one thing to stick with, in terms of art and blogging, which would you choose?
I think blogging talaga, because with blogging you get to challenge myself. I do the photography, writing and layout so I really get to do a lot of things.

What else should we look forward with you?

Before I really say no to a lot of projects because I don’t trust myself, but now I challenge myself to say yes to projects that I can deliver to. Right now I’m collaborating with more artists.



What are the things we can find your bag?
There’s always a laptop, a camera, my planner and external batteries for my phone.

What blogs do you read?
Kate Loves Me, Song of Style, Ponyhunter, Adam Gallagher and Camille Co.

What are the things you like to wear?
Denim, cargo, leather, chino pants and boots.

What are the things that you can’t leave the house without? 
A watch, oil control film, gym stuff, earphones and well groomed hair.

Who do you often listen to?

The XX, Bon Iver – but I am really into 90’s music like the ones my brothers listen to.

Do you dance?
Yes, I was part of a dance group before.



Do you live to create?

Yes. I think there’s something about it that it isn’t for you anymore but for the people who look up to you. Before I used to blog for myself, like what else have I not shown but now it’s about making my readers interested and my posts relevant.

You Might Also Like

0 comments

@LIEUMAGAZINE

Blog Archive