, , ,

Artist Profile: RJ Monsod




Of muses and filters, RJ Monsod lets us take a peek into what's going on in his creative mind.




Hi RJ! Tell us, what's your story?


I am RJ Monsod. I am a portrait photographer based in Davao City. I am a self-taught photographer with 14 years of experience. I am an optimist, candid and a self confessed dreamer. My genre includes street, lifestyle and wedding photography too.



What's it like to be a photographer in Davao City?

What's it like to be a photographer in Davao City? It's Amazing. I am not a pure Davaoeneo but I love the people here. There's something about the people in Davao that makes me stay. I can't find the right words to describe it but Davao is really different compared to other places.



What's your take on Instagram?

Instagram is a social media platform that most photographers can take advantage of it. Among all the other photo-sharing apps like it, it's safe to say that Instagram is best one. But that's not the whole point. Sharing is the fun part.



What do you think of VSCO Cam? Do you use its filters or do you try to create your own?

VSCO is a very nice editing tool as you can imitate the look of a photo shot using film. I used them for quite sometime but after years of using it, I stopped because I already have my own presets and right now I don't edit that much because the cameras that I am using, which is Fujifilm, produce very nice color tones. It's perfect for me because I don't have to edit my photos using VSCO Cam or the presets that I have.



Are you fond of making photography series or you just take photos randomly?

Yes, it's always a series. I love telling stories through my photos. Every project I have, there should always be a story behind it.



Your Streetraits are becoming popular. Tell us something about it.

Actually, the idea evolved from #OOTD. I noticed that most Davaoenos are really into taking #OOTDs. So I came up with the idea to take their #OOTD on the streets of Davao City. I take photos of these people without make-up and poses, and it clicked. It's also my stress reliever.

The best thing is that my muses are not really professional models. They are just average people.



What is your favorite photo?

My favorite photos are works that belongs to Ryan Muirhead, Jan Scholz and Tanja Lippert. They inspire me. They are the few who still use film as their main tools.





You Might Also Like

0 comments

@LIEUMAGAZINE

Blog Archive